Thursday, March 10, 2011

Operation 365... Blog 99

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Archives - 106 Justin Mills - "Stick Around" - 12-11-2008
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57VmV1FN_74

Another gem from back in the day. I would like to clarify something here real quickly. As much fondness and admiration as I have for "the day," as it were, I am far more smitten with this present moment right here. There are some things about back in the day that are, by their very nature "back in the day" things, like kicking it with Don Truesdail and Robin Lee, for two examples. But I am a man of the present, and my present, right now, is as delightful, as any present, I've ever experienced.

That said, I am a student of history and an appreciator of good times. Those times in 2008 were instantly classic and being able to relive them in whatever limited manner I can, is still a special treat.

Speaking of things that can't happen in the here and now but did back then routinely.. this set from Justin Mills. These tunes are from earlier in his set, before I joined him on stage with my cuter little Ashbory bass, with Wes Davis, freshly returned from some months, photographing fish underwater in Tahiti, backing him on tambourine and harmonica. The show was December 11, 2008. Great times. Justin, as you may heave read previously in my blog, doesn't play his awesome tunes out live ever anymore. He is as known for his long breaks from the stage locally as he is for his awesome compositions. In a small circle, his work is greatly appreciated. This is a rare cut even by his standards called " Strick Around." I think this tune is f'n awesome, for reals. I will be sharing another Justin number form this set, "Saving Up," tomorrow, so be psyched. I am.

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Covers - 106 "Handle With Care" by The Traveling Wilburys
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gZ4wV5ngrc

"Copyright music and lyrics reproduced by kind permission of Special Rider -- for original, exclusive performances by Bob Dylan, check-out the official channel at www.youtube.com/bobdylan."

Figured I'd put that there just to be safe. It's a long story.

I wasn't planning on doing this tune today. I had "So Far Away" by Dire Straits in my crosshairs, but couldn't find the music because it was not meant to be. "Handle With Care" was though ands that is nice, Tis is one of those tunes, like "Bell Bottom Blues," "Sweet Home Alabama," and "Ziggy Stardust," that my good man Chris Scelzo used to lead our circle of friends through choruses back in the days of long ago. Like almost the 80s. Those were really impactful and special times for me. Formative, practically. That cluster of tunes will always be special to me. "Behind Blue Eyes." It was the beginning.

The Traveling Wilburys, you probably know, were a supergroup with Tom Petty, Bob Dylan, Roy Oribson, Jeff Lynne, and George Harrison. how amazing. I can't imagine a more amazing jam to sit on than the ones those guys must have had. Friendship, respect, creativity, fun. Awesome. I strive for that in my life daily.

Special thanks to Gordo the birthday dog and Dylan Avery's arm. Dylan called me "Kenny Bloggins."

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Originals - 106 "It Is Gordo's Birthday"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ao7M2FAZGnA

So it came time to record my original song for today... These have been busy times. I'm working a new job teaching elementary school music, one of my preferred jobs, all things considered. I am also doing the 365, preparing for my tour, volunteering, and being the best doggy daddy and boyfriend I can be to my puppitas and my girlfriend, Leanne. I am very happy, but wouldn't mind some more free time.

My dear pal, the great director, Dylan Avery and his dog Gordo have been staying with me for a couple days too. Tragic how being talented, intelligent and committed to making the world a better place, doesn't equate to being able to make any sort of a living these days. What can you do? As a specie, and a society, we are a work in progress. Well, they are here for a couple days. Did I mention Nigel the irresistible puppy has been giving us one heck of hard time recently. He peed on my bed. We still love him but.... uggghhh. Anyway...

So it was time to record me original song for today and I extemporaneously launched into this little number, "It Is Gordo's Birthday." It is this kind of fun and frivolity that makes a birthday fun. I decided to stick with the song. It speaks for itself. Leanne and I took Nigel and Angel and Gordo to The Blue Parrot earlier, for a little doggy birthday bash. It went splendidly except for Gordo briefly jumping, Justin Mills' dog LB, and Nigel eating all the way through Gordo's leash before we even noticed.

I love Gordo. I have baby-sat him many times. He is a personable, funny, and well-mannered guest despite his wappy tail and his occasional, unintentional, couch jizzing. So I sang him a birthday song, not knowing how it would go. He has considerable stage presence as does his famous American hero papa, who is going to buy him a birthday steak as I'm blogging. Amazing how we live in a time where being able to see, and reporting what happens, can make you an American hero and destitute pariah all at the same time. Kinda makes me sick a little. Watch Loose Change 9/11: An American Coup, if you haven't yet. It may open up your eyes.

http://www.amazon.com/Loose-Change-11-American-Coup/dp/B002FOQY7M

Happy birthday Gordo, March 10, 2011. LB is your friend. Remember him next time, you cute, handsome strapping lad, who I adore. Gordo, the dapper doggie, occasionally known as Schweeb.

No comments: