Saturday, March 5, 2011

Operation 365... Blog 94

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Archives - 101 Aqua Dulce - Winston's - 3-17-2010
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUAoFa9kJa4

Decided to post the rest of that footage I have of Aqua Dulce from St. Patty's Day 2010. I forgot I had this but stumbled upon it yesterday going through stuff. Here is the rest of it plus some bonus, between-set, chilling-at-the-bar footage, Good times. Great tastes. Good feelings from San Diego's premier Latin funkfest, Aqua Dulce.

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Covers - 101 "The Lion Sleeps Tonight - popularized by The Tokens
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AG1nh1WYYZE

I love this song. I used it to successfully audition for the first band I ever got into. Granted it was a student/teacher rock band in high school, but still, we did play a sold-out 800 seat auditorium. I wouldn't mind that happening several hundred more times.

This song was written by... There appears to be some controversy aout who wrote it. Apparently it's an old folk song a bunch of people tried to get paid for. I wrote on my vid that some 3 dudes wrote it, but wikipedia doesn't even mention them. So if you want to know the story, or at least a small part of the story go here. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lion_Sleeps_Tonight

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Originals - 101 "March"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4pC7xUowSo

Amidst all this song-writing with kids this week, I got a little fired up and I busted this one out real quick, like 5-7 minutes, for an audience of stunned students. I had wanted to write a song called "March" for some time, and March 1, 2011 turned out to be the day. I have already penned the month-inspired classics, "February," "April," "May," "June," "September," and "November." My friend , Spencer Katzman wrote "December" and "January," for a band we had in the late 90's, called Elin Tea. Even though those last two aren't mine, per se, I feel a strong bond to those jams, so I am in the least of a hurry to get to those wintery windows. Perhaps there's a deal to be struck.

"March," for some time has been the main one in my crosshairs, and I am glad to be able to scratch it off the list. Of course, I do a little play on the word," March," but that's to be expected. "February" symbolized" making peace with an old adversary, "April" has it's own double meaning about time and the flexibility of people and words. "May" symbolizes the hope of spring and the summer bounty that follows, and "June" refers to June Cleaver. "March" is about the path to helping ourselves and our world, and that a rhythmic repetition is required to achieve required sought progress. I have wanted to write "March" for a long time and I am glad it's written now. It will be interesting to see if it finds it's way into the rotation of songs that get played. Now, March.

In other news, I wrote a little jam this morning called "My Knee Grows," about a guy who is like Pinocchio, except when he lies, his knee grows, instead of his nose, Thanks to operation 365, you might actually get to hear that ridiculous ditty some time soon.

No comments: