Thursday, March 3, 2011

Operation 365... Blog 92

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Archives - 99 Wes Davis "City Lights" - 8-23-2009
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xAcxcK8Mg0

Wes is joined here by Ian Livingstone on mandolin on this performance of his tune "City Lights" from August 23, 2009. I love Wes. Let me tell you a little bit about his world right now. Well, he is in the process of re-re-relocating back to San Diego with his super long term on again, off-again sweetie, Becca. He, like many folks, I know, is desperately trying to figure out what to do in this world that will feel right in his soul, be creative, and help him earn dough to survive. So far, pretty standard. One thing, Wes has going for him that many others don't (aside from some degree of fearlessness and tons of talent) is that he is the star of a new movie called "Buzzkill," coming out nay day now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkLVoECtPek

Our pal, the esteemed Dylan Avery, directed this film. He also did "Loose Change," and my "24 Hours of Free Music" movie, so it will certainly be first class. What do with a movie about you, I wonder and Wes must wonder too. I am in the movie a little, but it's all about Wes. Wes quit coffee and that's the "point" of the film, but it's really a bout Wes, and what will make it good is that he's interesting. He plays, he surfs, he climbs, and he plays with music with me from time to time.

Making music is not what you think it is. The last two days, he and I have been working on designing a poster for our April tour. Music is not graphic design, but if you hope to make any money doing it, and don't have any to invest up front, than it's that, and a lot of other things too; Buying a van, promoting on the interent, phone calls, working a job to afford to live. Living is a key pre-requisite to enjoying one's self playing music. I am interested to see what comes off all this Wes business and if you are in California in April, we will be too, and this is where.

March 31 - The Royal Dive, Oceanside, CA 9:00PM
April 2 - Asana Tea House, Santa Cruz, CA 7:30PM
April 5 - Humboldt State University, Arcata, CA NOON
April 5 - Mad River Brewing Co., Blue Lake, CA 6:00PM
April 6 - Naked Lounge, Sacramento, CA 8:00PM
April 8 - The Sleeping Lady, Fairfax, CA 9:00 PM
April 9 - Giordano Bros., San Francisco, CA 9:00 PM

Hope to see you real real soon.

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Originals - 99 "The Epic Journey of The Yodeling Pirates Part I"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvoueLQugE0

This is another jamboree I wrote with student children on Monday. Maybe it was Tuesday... They named it, "The Epic Journey of The Yodeling Pirates Part I." "Campfire Yodeling" and "Vegetable Treasure" would also have been acceptable answers. Like I said, the other day, normally, these tunes would never be shared and would already be two days into their stay and "Song Heaven." I use that to inspire them to play the best version possible of their new song before it rests along while. Essentially, I'm encouraging them to give their song a good life. In many cases this is their first foray into the elite fraternity/sorority of the world's songwriting humans. And this group is one of those places, like the Hotel California, that you can never leave. Cheers, kids your immortality is consecrated in the only place left that matters in this world, the world wide web. I think it's called the internet now. I liked the alliteration better.

TAGS: songwriting lesson, Jefferson Jay, teaching songwriting to kids, teaching songwriting, lesson, how to write songs with kids, how to write songs, education, standards, great test scores, music for kids, pirates, llamas, vegetables, positive message, positive meaning

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Covers - 99 "Rocky Top" - Felice and Boudleaux Bryant
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rczNWfItkzQ

Another student-inspired song. Today, was my fourth day subbing elementary music for a fellow. Today, I decided to try to play the tunes he is doing with the kids even though I don't "know" them and couldn't find the chords written down anywhere. I do "know" the tunes, even if I don't "know" how they go officially, so I said, let's go for it. I busted out the guitar and found myself doing surprisingly well on classics, such as "This Train," "Lollipop" (the 50s hit, not the L'il Wayne song), Stand By Me, This Land Is Your Land," "Lean On Me" (I played piano on that one), and others.

My favorite of all the jams they're doing though was "Rocky Top, Tennessee," better known to them as "Rocky Top." (I just learned the name of the song is actually "Rocky Top," and it was written by a married couple named Felice and Boudleaux Bryant. Hail research and accuracy.) As a fan of the iconic jamband Phish, the official state song of Tennessee (1 of 7) has special meaning to me. I heard Phish play it at several shows, and each time was a thrilling, fun way to spend time existing. So to play it myself, is exciting. Especially, considering I figured it out, on the fly, from my head, with a room full of excited 12-year olds singing. This song makes me happy.

Technically, I was even paid to do it. See, I'm on my way back to being a professional musician, again. Hopefully, more surely than slowly. Every day things are changing. Thank God. Otherwise, life would be so dull.

No comments: