Saturday, March 26, 2011

Operation 365... Blog 114

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Archives - 122 Beehive - 4-2-2009
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4eDEq-8U-s

This is my pal Beehive. I haven't seen him in awhile. He played my first 12 Hours and 24 Hours of Free Music shows, as I recall. He is a world class beat boxer and at this set from April2, 2009, he played some mandolin as well. Happy Saturday.

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Covers - 122 "You Are My Sunshine" by ?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYb6EyhPCkk

I have loved this song since I was a small child. My mom used to sing it to me. Those are probably my first happy musical memories. I have since discovered there is a whole other dark side to this song, but I'm choosing not to go there. There are all these crazy heartbreak lyrics that decided not to include. My friend Justin Mills did a mean version with all those lyrics back in the old days of a couple years ago. There is also a mystery about who really wrote it. I didn't want to get into that. If you want to learn about all that, check out
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/You_Are_My_Sunshine

I prefer the version I heard over and over again with the chorus repeated over and over again. The first time I saw Tom Petty he played it too. It's just one of those tunes, for me, that you hear through your whole life and it holds a special place for you always. It is cool how music does that. Paul Ruiz is featured here on trumpet and Leanne and Nigel on awesomeness and love. I'll dedicate this one here to my mom.

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Originals - 122 "Seven" 9-8-2009
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjxg1zbw0M8

This is a jam I wrote with my longtime songwriting partner, Scott Baslaw. Together, (since 1992), we are The Demarests. Good times,. We have 3 albums, 1992's "From Russia With Love, 2000's "EMBARGO," and 2007'as "Our Time Is Now. I recently told Scotty I would send him a new copy of "Our Time Is Now, if he agreed to find me on Skype. He has some strange fear of the internet. Well, yesterday, he relented and we skyped. That made me think to show him a tune I recorded and THAT made me remember I had this. "Seven" is our most recent collaboration. I wrote my first songs ever with Scotty, what seems like a lifetimes ago.

Here is "Seven," recorded live on September 8, 2009. Spencer Katzman, another longtime friend, joins us on shaker and mandolin solo. This clip was filmed by Sarah Haughton. Special props to Joan Baslaw for inspiring Scott musically on this endeavor. Love is so so sweet. I love me some Scotty and Spence.

No comments: