Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Operation 365... Blog 110

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Covers - 118 "Crocodile Rock" by Elton John and Bernie Taupin

I've loved this song since I was a kid. I'm pretty sure this is Sir Elton's first visit to the 365. My opinions on Sir's music have changed over the years, but his old stuff is epic. "Buh-buh-buh-Bennie and the Jets," "Your Song," and all those other classic hits. I'm sure we'll see Sir Elton again before it's all said and done. "Rocket Man," anyone?

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Originals - 118 "The Chic Freak of The Week"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7t_dzdu6Lo

Been enjoyin' makin' up these spur-of-the-moment songs lately. I guess it's a good skill to develop. Helps me get musical thoughts off my mind that might otherwise go forever unwritten. Obviously they lack the polish of previously penned numbers, but achieving balance is something one can strive for, for a lifetime. This is one is about the Paris Hiltons, Lindsay Lohans, Kim Kardashian, and Snookis of the world. People who are famous for no reason, essentially other then their high society, high maintenance, and sometimes just flat out high, ways of being.

That people look up to this and that children emulate these ladies empty, banal, vapid, and materialistic manners is but one of many stinging indictments of modern society. Hey, nobody's perfect, but if no one says anything about it ever, that's basically saying it's OK. It may be OK for them, but it is not OK with me. I wish you the best ladies, but remember this about your looks, your money, your drugs, your jewels, and your fame. You can't take any of 'em with you. I hope y'all treated some people right on the way up, 'cause it's a long, lonely way down if you didn't. Do you think those ladies read my blog?

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Archives - 118 Jefferson Jay & Will Edwards Raffle Studio Time - 3-4-2009
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7FQgfizfTc

Normally, I reserve this space for live music performances, but obviously there are other important things to archive, otherwise. Years ago, I started a non-profit organization with hopes of providing better for the musicians and the music-loving people of San Diego. Musicians have it rough here in town, to make a long story short, and I conjured a little plan to improve conditions for music and musicians here in town. Will Edwards, my dear pal, jumped on board as the Vice-President (I am President) of this operation years ago and we continue to work in what little free time we have, to try to keep this project and the dream associated with this project, growing.

Perhaps, the most successful day in our organization's young history was the fund-raising benefit concert we held at The Belly Up Tavern on March 4, 2009. It was a blast. The Greens of Mind played, as did Mary Dolan, Chimney Fish, and Rhythm and the Method. We were able to gather a bunch of terrific donations and we had ourselves a fine raffle and raised some dough. The grand prize was an electric guitar, donated by musicpower.com, but there were many other great prizes including a free recorded song at Will's studio here in SD.

In this clip, we raffle off that studio time and then I introduce Chimney Fish. I included this because I was thinking about this slice of life and felt like sharing it. You also get to see Will and I banter, which is delightful and hilarious. Tomorrow, I will post the grand prize drawing, so stay tuned to see who won. If you are interested in more information on the San Diego Musicians Collective, please visit our website and sign up for a free membership at sdmusicians.org. Thanks and peace.

No comments: