Friday, March 18, 2011

Operation 365... Blog 106

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Archives - 114 Jefferson, Dylan, Destructo and Howard Jam -4-9-2009
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8tOSqzfX9k

I am currently the process of considering ways of reinventing the 365 so it can keep my interest for another 251 days. Different persons, perspectives, instruments and environments will all be considered and ultimately implemented. When one stops growing, one dies. Not down for death quite yet, nuclear clue be damned. Despite all that, I imagine the archives section of the program will largely remain the same.

Today, I offer a jam between myself on electric guitar, Dylan Avery on bass, Destructo Bnuny on drums and our friend, Howard, on some sort of Native American flute. Here are a few moments from a much longer jam a the end of the night on April 9, 2009. Words.

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Covers - 114 "My Favorite Things" by Rogers and Hammerstein
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKJgl_hQDiE

I was working for awhile on Trey Anastasio's tune "Sweet Dreams Melinda" today. It has an intricate little intro and I worked on it for about an hour, but still eventually decided it was not ready for the bright lights of the 365 yet, so another day. Instead, I chose a classic, "My Favorite Things." Who doesn't have a million vivid memories with this tune? It almost universal. Some of my earliest musical memories involve doing this number in grade school. Now I find myself leading classes thorough it, myself, daily. I jammed this with Pete Kelly in my band years back and have rocked out to John Coltrane's amazingly classic version, on the album of the same name, countless times, each time amazed by his incredible abilities on the saxophone.

I have always wanted to conjure my own version of this song, replacing Rogers and Hammerstein's lyrics, with a set of my own favorite things. I even wrote some lyrics for it once awhile back. Ultimately, I'm afraid, they would reveal to much about my inner self to do this, maybe even more than this entire 365. OK, so Yankee World Series, uhhh... sunsets... what else do I really want to list? Sushi? Do I really want to list everything I like in a song. Who am I Steely Dan in Hey 19? The Wu-Tang Clan? Rebecca Black? I am Jefferson Jay and here is my version of the "My Favorite Things, 2011 classroom edition. I'll keep it simple that way

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Originals - 114 "Daniel Day-Lewis and The News
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1caPVd_q-jU

I briefly considered naming this "Nuclear Cloud," but I think oI have grown through my phase of trying to do things just for the attention they might bring. I saw some "hand dancers" on TV as I got my bagel and coffee this morning and I was embarrassed for considering that, even for a day. I'm not sure it would be worth getting lots of attention, if it required being as sucky as possible to do so. So, anyway, in attempts to reinvent my 365 in the name of fun. I just went for it on this jam and had a good time. Hope you like my whistle and my rhyme on my newest song "Daniel Day-Lewis and The News."

Funny as I sit here, proud to re-invent myself again and again, I wonder if I should send my semi-shameful "President's Penis Is On Fire" song to Tosh.o. I don't know if I can bring myself. Someone wanna do it for me? Then technically, I'm not responsible, just joking, but in case you're taking me seriously, here is the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6_JKMUlUB8
... and tosh guy's email: tosh.0@comedycentral.com

You know what? Maybe I'll do it myself. And maybe I'll include this one too.... And I did. I think I'm going to listen to some Shinehead now.

No comments: