Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Operation 365... Blog 103

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Archives - 111 Robin Lee 4-2-2009 1

Here, again, is my dear friend, Robin Lee. I love her so much. Have I mentioned that in this blog before? Good, I hope so. This is from 4-2-2009, two years ago. "Hunker down, get happy, you have no one else to blame for your misery, your sorrow, and your undue pain," the lyrics form this tune advise. Robin's generosity with her wisdom and perspective, has always been one of my favorite traits of hers. She's pretty funny too.

I hope this finds her well. I have a good feeling ti does, which brings me enormous joy. I dream of a world where we can sip tea into the AM, with instruments around, peaceful and happy. This is the first song from her set that night, She is joined by Jack Davidson on lead guitar here. Peace to you, Robin.

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Covers - 111 "Drunken Angel" by Lucinda Williams
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gq-toMs1kbc

Here is another classic tune by Lucinda Williams, from her epic album "Car Wheels On A Gravel Road." This tune is "Drunken Angel." My friend Robin Lee, (I posted a tune of her's earlier today, here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZvs4ngKuVw ) and Lucinda have awesome heartfelt tunes, dripping with emotion, integrity, and interestingness. Their music has always reminded me of each other's. I would like To Lucinda play some time. For that matter, I would like to see Robin play. In lieu of those shows, I will re-watch today's videos...now.

In other news, my dog Angel, who is 11, has never been drunk. She has never even tried alcohol that I've seen. She isn't interested in it. I love my pooch, Angellica.

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Originals - 111 "Ebby" written with Paola Race
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qc_xYGvA8zU

When I first moved to California in 1995, I was lured out there by my friend Paola and her boyfriend at the time, Andy. They were my good friends from UMASS. Paola had decided to do a year abroad and chose Humboldt State. Andy went. They encouraged me to come. When faced with a rapidly declining social scene at UMASS as my only alternative, I accepted their offer. I figured, they were awesome people so at least I'd know good people in my new home. I have been a Californian ever since, more or less.

So at this same time, I started playing guitar. One of the main reasons my social scene was getting suckier in Amherst was my band broke up. As the band's singer, I struggled to find a worthy new project, so I started playing guitar at age 20, with the hopes that someday, I could be a much more self-sufficient musician. It has worked. So, upon my arrival in paradise, Humboldt County, I was inspired, naturally. Paola and I, who used to sit and harmonize on Crosby, Stills, and Nash songs in the dorms as freshman, wrote a handful of tunes and this is one of them. A story...

So "Ebby," here is probably the 3rd or fourth of the 5 tunes we wrote. She'd make the music mostly. I'd do the lyrics mostly, with some sharing on some songs. I would usually manage the organizational part of the process. So I am explaining it to her after I wrote it down on this tune. I'm telling her, " the first part is Part A, then we go to Part B," when Paola interrupts. She asks incredulously, "Well, why doesn it have to be Part A and B? Why can;t it have some other name?" Shortly thereafter, I realized my explanations of "it's just easier," were a waste of breath, so I agreed to call them whatever she wanted. I remember. This first part, she named "ebby," the second part, she named "lim-Sa," and the solo bridge part, she named "lim-sa-mi."

Ahhh, the good old days in 1995 on Tilley Court. We ultimately recorded these tunes at a room at Humboldt State. Got some nice recordings before they went back to Massachusetts. I stayed behind., Years later, Paola, re-relocated to Northern California. I spoke to her yesterday and am thrilled that she will be attending our gig in San Francisco on me, Wes Davis, and Blowski's upcoming April California tour. I'll be returning to Arcata, among other old homes. Final funny footnote to the story. I thought., "Ebby," was a nonsense syllable. Years later, my first friend in San Diego, was a young lady named Julie Boyden. She transformed from a devout virgin, to devout and remarkably pregnant very suddenly, and when she had the baby girl, (who is about 10 now), she named her "Ebby," never having heard of the song. Some may see massive randomness in that. I see massive connectivity. Gosh, I love this life. Hope Julie's well. Paola, see you soon in Sac-Town.

No comments: