Thursday, March 17, 2011

Operation 365... Blog 105

Absurd world. To pay attention is maddening. So I stay out of it mostly and therefore, have roughly no idea what's going on in pop culture. And wonder why I'm so out of touch in peaceful relative anonymity. Anonymity's fine, unless you hope to make it as a musician. Then, knowing people and what they like, helps.

My friend Dylan Avery posted this song called "Friday" by some random child Rebecca Black his Facebook last week. He told me that I should cover it if I wanted to get tons of hits. I resisted listening to it for a few days, because I knew it would be bad. Eventually, I relented. i's horrible. It's over-produced garbage that sounds like everything else. And there is the rub. Being talented, original, or different, is not really valued in society today. At least not in the places I know. Maybe in some small circles. When I grew up, it was. I think this is what they call a generation gap. I grew up learning of the generation where artists spoke to the young people and people wanted to band together to make the world a better place. It certainly needs that now more than ever. I think that makes me a dinosaur.

Maybe artists still do talk to the young. It's just not about anything I know anything about. I am too educated and woefully under-informed. Anyway, a week or so later. I was finally gonna force myself to cover this horrible song to try to get some attention. "Friday" has 12 million hits now and is no less awful than it was last week. Dylan said it's too late now. Time Magazine has already written an article about the best covers of it. One, I found, done in "Bob Dylan-style" had over 300,000 hits.

I don't know if I'm disgusted or disappointed. If I'm either, I'm both for even having to consider all this. I am relieved I dont have to play that crap song. I am flummoxed at my recognition of what's hip and how many galaxies away from it, I reside on Integrity Island. If you haven/t heard of Integrity Island, it's because it's some undiscovered Avalon (fantasy place) in my imagination. Now back to our regularly scheduled program, (old songs, originals songs, and something from my Archives). The world is depressing. That's why I try not to pay too much attention to it. The only problem with that is, when you check back it, you are heartbroken, by how much further it's fallen, since the last time you looked. See Everywhere.

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Covers - 113 "Friday" by Rebecca Black
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKhGtulkaGE

I got through as much of the P.O.S. song as I could. In case you don't know in the last week, this version of this song, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CD2LRROpph0 has got over 12 million hits on youtube. My friend super director, Dylan Avery, said I should cover it days ago, to bring attention to all this other work I'm doing. I hesitated, resisted, and now finally, capitulated. I got through as much as I could, in what I'm calling, "the mercifully-shortened version." I reggeae'd it out somewhat. "Fun fun fun fun." Genius lyrics. Oh brother. What's our world coming to? Happy St. Patty's Day.

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Archives - 113 Sene Africa with The Soul Man - 4-9-2009
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3u99r7rbTE

Sene Africa are some of the greatest musicians in the world... if you're into that sort of thing. hey have literally played for kings. Amadou Fall, one the world's kora masters, had a birthday the other day. He is my dear pal. Happy Birthday. Ibrahima Ba and Abudllai appear on guitar/vocals and djembe respectively. They are also awesome. Speaking of awesome 92-year old, World War II hero, The Soul Man, is with them on guiro, creating a group, unlike any other that can be found in the world anywhere, possible ever.

I know getting giddy about such things makes me old-fashioned. God bless. I guess. Maybe it's trime to pray. That's what Sene Africa would do. Soul Man too. Life is learning...at least the good parts.

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Covers - 113 "The President's Penis Is On Fire"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6_JKMUlUB8

WARNING: I purposely did the crappiest P.O.S I could come up with, just to see if it would get 12 million hits. If it does or if it doesn't, I apologize. If it appears in the video that I am cracking up and/or losing my mind, don't be alarmed. It is only because I am such an incredible actor that I can communicate such teetering madness, so convincingly. Charlie Sheen is my inspiration in this arena. For my next move, I hope to make a sitcom, in which I play a character exactly like myself. F it. Let's even name him Jefferson. This is all high art to me. Acting. Winning.

I feel compelled by my paranoia/awareness to remind audiences everywhere that I am joking. As far as I know, the president's penis is not on fire. But honestly, how the hell would I know? I hope it's not. That would probably hurt. For the record, I repeat, as far as I know, the president's penis is not on fire. Thank you for voting.

No comments: