Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Operation 365... Blog 98

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Archives - 105 Tuna Boot - 12-9-2008
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mavtSbCvh7A

I like this video because it really captures that era at its peak. You can feel the energy in room at my open mic that night, December 9, 2008. This night, a new band, Tuna Boot, played its second night at my open mic. They would go on to play dozens more times at my show and becoming close friends with the whole bunch of us. Eventually, Mark, the guy on the left, moved to Chicago and Tuna Boot, broke up. To my knowledge, Scott, the guy on the right, still ives in town. I wonder what he's up to.

I miss these guys and their tunes. I miss the energy of the old days. It was a good era. It is over now though. At least, we have it here to re-live vicariously through the videos. All eras end, like the era where some people thought Charlie Sheen was sane, for instance.

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Covers - 105 "Let's Dance" by David Bowie
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSW3PpSMLR4

This song rules. Funky, crazy, frenetic, fun. I have fond memories of my old, college friend Gilcrest sharing his rendition of this fine Bowie 80s jamboree. It took awhile. I'd never played it before today and it has a bunch of chords i never heard before, I blended a few attempts together here. Much fun. Cameos by Dylan Avery's pooch, Gordo, (Avery is watching Gordo's namesake Mike Gordon at House of Blues right now) Nigel the pup, Shanti the hamster, and guiro-playing nonagenarian, The Soul Man.

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Originals - 105 "The Storm's Coming"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wa77UQLd1Y0

This song is a song I co-wrote years ago with my friend Matt Reischling. Matt is leading an L.A. based band these days called Confessions of a Corn Silo. He is my good buddy from way back. We've been through quite a bit together. Highlights and there are many include his song "Cowtown," our countless jams and feasts, and our chicken rock craze of 2009ish) Bock Rock. That is famous rock songs, sung like chickens. Yes, we are pioneers.

I miss him and I hope he is doing well. It seems he has some shows here and again up there. We haven't caught up in awhile but we are bros for life, I like to think. This is one of a couple tunes we;ve written together. He had another vocal part he would sing to it that I can;t do while singing "no more harm." This song was about, among other things, my well wishes for him(and everyone else) in a sometimes, dark, seedy, and dangerous world. It was a stormy night in San Diego when we wrote it and all that stuff about the palm leaves whipping against the walls really happend. I wish the artist formerly known as Petaluma Son (a previous incarnation of the Reischling musical experience back when this song was written) eternal love, life and prosperity and I hope to see him real real soon.

No comments: