Monday, June 6, 2011

Operation 365... Blog 188

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Archives - 194 Chimney Fish - "House Parties" - 2-20-2009
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Os5rYPspDqY

Here are my friends, Chimney Fish, from February 20, 2009. Chimney Fish broke up awhile back, but I always dug their tunes and it is my pleasure to be able to share some with you. I received a nice text from Chimney Fish frontman and songwriter Brett walling a couple weeks back. I believe he is currently in Idaho. He wrote that it was nice al these yeas later to be able to watch new Chimney Fish stuff. That, my friends is what the 365 is all about. All this stuff happened. Yes, it is in the past. Gone but not forgotten, I say. What can I tell ya? I am an archivist. That Master's Degree in history must be good for something.

I really appreciate the appreciation. Almost 200 days into this Operation and I still haven;t quite determined what the purpose of it all is. Fortunately my goal, when starting was, just to se what would happen if I did this for 365 days. Maybe nothing. Who knows? We are still quite far from 365. Expect more Chimney Fish, more Don Truesdail, more Robin Lee, and more Sene Africa here in the Archives in the weeks and months to come. Thank you.

Chimney Fish also featured Andy Davis on drums, Luke Oskam on bass, Jeff Shaefer on lead guitar and The Soul Man sitting in on guiro.

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Covers - 194 "The Waiting" by Tom Petty
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UhbIigRB40

Ain't that the truth, Tom. Thanks for all your wisdom over the years. Faith. Everything's happening exactly as it is meant to. Hard to remember that sometimes. Thanks to Dick and Anna at Mariposa Ice Cream, the world's bet ice cream, made in Normal Heights, San Diego, for reminding me "The Waiting" exists. Tom, I look forward to meeting. I have begun another project here surreptitiously today. I may provide updates as in progresses. Charge!

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Originals - 194 "Long Way Home" written with Scott Baslaw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhVQ2NyM67o

"Long Way Home" is from the first batch of tunes I ever wrote. It was back in the early 90s and I didn't even play guitar yet. My friend Scott Baslaw and I were in a band called The Demarests, and we still exist to this day. I may see Scott this weekend. That would be cool. I was trying to get geared up to play one off of my first CD, "Great Story," but I wasn't feeling those numbers today and I fell upon, "Long Way Home."

"Long Way Home" was written about the myriad of emotions one feels when his or her friends leave for college. This can be applied to any changing of the guard in one's life, though. People come and go thorough our lives and it is important for us to make sure we enjoy the time we have together when we can. It's not that people always want to go. It's just part of life. Enjoy each moment, because when they're gone, they're gone.

No comments: