Sunday, June 26, 2011

Operation 365... Blog 208

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Archives - 214 Don Truesdail - "Sweet August" 24 Hours of Free Music - 6-28-2008
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f521vy-1CSE

Day Two of tributing Truesdail, this time around. We are approaching the three year anniversary of the 2008 "24 Hours of Free Music," one of the greatest days of my life. It was so much fun for so many folks we made a movie about it. Here is song two from Don's set. It is a beautiful love song called "Sweet August." I feel blessed to know some of the touching love story this song details. Just as I feel blessed to have known Don and to know his beloved wife, Nancy. Enjoy, Don Truesdail and "Sweet August."

This was filmed by Dylan Avery. Don is joined on stage by The Soul Man (who will be 93 on Friday) on guiro. Peace

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Covers - 214 "How Much Is That Doggie in the Window?" by Bob Merrill
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4iuaIbmREw

Astute observers of the 365 will notice that my apartment is once again, wrecked. Trashed. Destroyed. Upside down. In shambles. Yes, we played a wonderful gig last night with The Jefferson Jay Band at Lydia's birthday party in Julian, CA. Beautiful mountain location and the band played great. Everyone had a super time. Thanks to Albert and Lydia, by the way. Check out their thing at www.hempys.com if you get a sec. Steve and Tara, who we love and Leanne and I camped there after right near the pond. We arose early and headed back to SD after a breakfast stop in Ramona. Speaking of breaking fast, Leanne accidentally dropped her Ray Bans out the window. Ooops.

As soon as we got home, we unloaded everything everywhere, I rinsed real quick and I ran out to MC a fine event called Here and Now, A Convention on Capitalism, Spirituality and Other Playful Endeavors, put on by Jon Block. It was a long day. I just got home and immediately got cracking on today's vids. My guitar is buried so I went banjo. I wrote and recorded my original real quick. I took and old poem and stuck it to a new catchy riff. Then on to covers. Ouch. Couldn't find one. Tried "Ruby Tuesday" and " All Together Now," but it wasn't happening. So I went for the easiest thing I could find. I dug up my trusty kids' tune chords page and this is what happened next. Enjoy mastery or whatever this is. Peace. Every moment is perfect so I guess this is too, right?

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Originals - 214 "The Moonlight"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etx0h6lg6dc

So trying to blaze through the 365 quickly, I still managed to write this tune. I stuck a new riff with some old lyrics and voila, "The Moonlight." I liked this girl awhile ago. She was an obstetrician. She liked me back for a day too, but she got all scared right away, I wasn't doctorry enough for her. I'd be shocked if she's not still single. Not 'cause she's not cool, but because she's got some other issues. I got close enough to know they exist and nowhere near close enough to know what they are. Either way, it's a song for today. Dr. Life, I wish you the best. You somehow got a banjo song.

No comments: