Monday, June 20, 2011

Operation 365... Blog 202

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Archives - 208 Interview with a Baby 2 - 10-20-2009
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqXKKjlVgQg

Today we return with a favorite segment of followers of the 365, "Interview with a Baby." Here I interview baby extraordinaire Morgan Riley Stevens, son of Jen Stevens, singer of the band Beer Money. Along with band and family co-star Joe Stevens, Jen made a beautiful child. Technically, I am his godfather. I also married and Jen and Joe. Did you know I am a minister? I'm not sure what a godfather does, but I doubt I'm doing it right now. Either way, if a godfather interviews and posts it these days, then maybe I am the ultimate 21st century godfather. I plum don't know.

In either case, enjoy this riveting interview with Morgan Riley Stevens. Photographer Steve Covault was riveted, as you can see. He is the fellow snapping made pictures and half blocking the shot. God bless him. I posted his wife Sweet Joyce Ann (Covault) in yesterday's Wild Older Women Duo clip, also filmed on October 20, 2009, at my Open Mic.

Who interviews babies? Me.

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Covers - 208 "Pale Blue Eyes" by Lou Reed
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXUrVdQT6qI

"Pale Blue Eyes" was written by Lou Reed and performed by his band Velvet Underground. This is a beautiful love song (of sorts). It was in my head the other day, so I decided to do it. I was playing it for my friend Richard Romero yesterday. He said it was slow. I added al those major seventh chords in honor of him. Leanne, my sweet, is sleeping. She is not feeling well, so I am playing quietly. I even switched the look to dream mode, just 'cause it made it make more sense.

I left out the last verse, mostly by accident. When I looked at what it was though, I realized, I think I like the song better without it, at least for my purposes. Apparently, this song was all about hooking up with a married person. I had no idea. I think it's more universal without it, so once I left it out, I decided not to put it back in.

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Originals - 208 "Traversing the Forest"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3DFi0KzLzk

"Traversing the Forest" is a riff I've had sitting around a long time. Once in South Florida, late 2010, I wrote it into a whole long tune with a bunch of the other odd and progressive parts I had written that were homeless songwise. I worked it into in detail in my hotel room. I brought all the recording stuff across the country, but never recorded the tune. I even played it on Don Truesdail's parents' crib on Don's guitar, when I was visiting them then, but still. I never committed it to memory or recorded it. I recorded Don's pop, Dan...

So what I figured is, the song was too odd, long, and all over the place, a journey of you will, to be played practically ever, so I just let it go. And now, here this riff is, still sitting in the inbox of unused songparts. Today, it becomes it's own, at least for the purposes of this 365. I called it ""Traversing the Forest" 'cause that's what it conjures to me.

I realize I like a little aloof in today's videos. It is a beautiful summer day in San Diego. There is work that needs to be done. Peace

Shout out to Route 208, which leads from my mom's pad all the way to New York City and if you follow it the other way, it will take to the roads that that Owego pad I just spoke of. We don't call highways "Route... Anything" in California. I have some vivid memories on you, Route 208. Ahh, Candace Karaty... The passing of time, reflection and perspective, is funny thing. It can make harrowing memories seem good, in retrospect, simply because you survived.

No comments: