Saturday, June 25, 2011

Operation 365... Blog 207

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Archives - 213 Don Truesdail - "Coquettish Vamp" 24 Hours of Free Music - 6-28-2008
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_b-otR-w10

The high point of our San Diego subculture here came on June 28, 2008, approximately 3 years ago today. On the day of the OB Street Fair (which is also today), I threw my third rendition of a little show I designed called "Jefferson Jay's 24 Hours of Free Music." The point of this marathon is to give artists a bigger stage than the may have been previously on and at a show at which everyone is welcome. We decided t odo it the day of the Street Fair in '08 '09 because of the additional 10,000 or so folks who flood into Ocean Beach every year on this day.

Our scene was still relatively new in 2008. Nobody had assumed any ownership of it yet and everybody was genuinely happy to be a part of things. That left us merely to organize and execute the spectacle that is "24 Hours," but with great team work, and positive attitudes we pulled it off marvelously.

It was such a success that I had a movie made of it. Dylan Avery filmed and directed the movie. The movie is called "Jefferson Jay's 24 Hours of Free Music," and I sold all the copies I had printed. Maybe I'll do another printing someday. It is a 2 disc, 4 and a half hour movie. I coulda had Dylan make it much shorter. That was his preference, but I wanted to be inclusive, because to me, that's what the spirit of "24 Hours" is all about.

So, to celebrate and commemorate "this time of year and "24 Hours," I bring you more of my dear friend Don Truesdail. As nice as it is to share clips from many of our friends at the Open Mic over the years here in the Archives, sharing the work of Don and our friend Robin Lee makes the 365 meaningful to me. I have grown so much from knowing these people and being exposed to their music and that it humbles me to be able to share their songs with another audience here ont he internet. That said,I intend to share Don's entire set (more or less) from "24 Hours of Free Music " '08, over the next week or so here and I hope you enjoy.

For those of you who don't know, Do was a great songwriter, musician, and music teacher before he passed away in an accident on January 13, 2009. I think of him all the time and still feel extremely close to him even though its been a little while since he hung out on my couch. We miss you Don. Enjoy his summer, school-is-out-of-session, laid back look. I know I do. And enjoy his amazing musicianship and quality of character. Don Truesdail = one hell of a guy. I am blessed to call him a friend. Peace

For more info on Don and his music and to buy on of his awesome CDs, please visit www.truesdailstudio.com

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Covers - 213 "And It Stoned Me"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpS1eBIV6lU

A gorgeous Van Morrison tune. Never played it for. Hope I play it again. Enjoyed it muchly. Playing a birthday party in Julian today with the band. Skipping the Street Fair this year. Three full sets of The Jefferson Jay Band. Am I excited? Can I get a hell yeah? Thanks, Stone Cold. See you all in the mountains.

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Original - 213 "The Fretless Masterpiece"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ve2w3Dv7E-4

Here's a little chunk of genius I brain-pooped out last night as we watched "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia." I laughed so hard I thought I was dying. I borrowed a quote from the great Charlie Day fro the chorus of this masterpiece, this fretless masterpiece. Fretless, you say? Yes indeed. Only open strings get played on this monster. That's right, even YOU can play "The Fretless Masterpiece." Dalmatian. Yes, I know antiquitated's not a word. In "The Fretless Masterpiece," it is.

No comments: