Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Operation 365... Blog 204

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Archives - 210 Tommy Dahill - 9-15-2009
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yE8gwpaLJug

here is local good man, traveller and banjoist, Tommy Dahill. He has pioneered his own musical style California Browngrass. He has also pioneered his own unique approach to dealing with people on the planet; Being friendly to everybody always, and managing the repercussions as they come up. Yes, Tommy Dahill is a very good man. Enjoy him as much as you can here, but I highly recommend meeting him in person if you ever get the chance. Just saying.

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Covers - 210 "Feelin' Alright" by Dave Mason
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yE8gwpaLJug

"Feelin' Alright" was written by Dave Mason of Traffic. Wikipedia tells me all these people have covered it.

Wikipedia: The song was also a hit single for several artists: Joe Cocker (1969, #69, recharted in 1972, US#33), Mongo SantamarĂ­a (1969, #95) and Grand Funk Railroad (1971, US#54). It has also been covered by Three Dog Night (1969), The 5th Dimension (1970), Lou Rawls, Freddie King, Paul Weller, Lulu, Chairmen Of The Board (1970), Rare Earth, The Electric Concept Orchestra , Mother's Finest (1973), The Ohio Players (1971), Diana Ross with the Jackson 5 (1971), Maceo Parker, Gladys Knight & the Pips, Widespread Panic and The Black Crowes.
Well, how about that?

I only knew Joe's version. Throw me on the list!

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Originals - 210 "I'll Take You"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ur2XNNjHEI

"I'll Take You" was a song I wrote yesterday. I was thinking of my friend Justin mills and how much I missed his style of songwriting He is on another of his long hiatuses from playing live, so I have only my memory and these clips to watch and listen. So, I wrote this song and even attempted to perform it in a style derivative of his own. It is more an emulation than an imitation. I have all these singy melodic ideas, but I will save them all for another version. I hear the chorus as two voices, a call and a response, probably. I even wore my flannel to give it more Justin Mills street cred. I think I blew that though by leaving in the scrunchie. I hope you all like it, especially Justin Mills.

I was gonna call it "Hold My Hand," but that was taken so I chose, "I'll Take You."

No comments: