Friday, June 17, 2011

Operation 365... Blog 199

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Archives - 205 Jefferson Jay and Friends" What's Lost..." 2-10-2009
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsjk9r4yMNU

Here I am playing a little tune I wrote for my beloved side project The Greens of Mind called "What's Lost in the Words That We Don't Say." Here, it was recorded with an all-star cast from my old days Open Mic crew including Blowski on piano, Maciek on flute, Annie Rettic, on violin, Barbara Tolbert (of The Greens) on vocals, Richard Romero on guitar, and The Soul Man on guiro. This version, while not quite as tight as the version The Greens brought, featured an intangible that I enjoyed. I love the energy that results when groups of people come together over the love for playing music. Yes, sometimes you lose a note or two, or maybe someone will step on someone a little, but the love and the effort and positive intentions that go into to making a unique moment to me more than make up for that in my opinion, 99% of the time. Summarized, each moment in life is precious and unique. Moments like these just make that more obvious.

In related news, kudos to Melissa Eisler. Former JJ Open Mic stalwart, Melissa Eisler had the bright idea to schedule a private open mic at her house, because of the state of affairs, that has left our old crew with out a place to do this sort of thing, for some time now. Invitations went out and thankfully, many of the main performers and friends from back then, jumped at the chance to participate in this special occasion. I agreed to host. So, it should be fun. It will be nice to see so many of the friendly faces that have filled the archives of this 365 for several months now. Destructo, Nancy, Petey, Blowski, Ean Greene, Carlos Soriano, Charbra, and so many other friends. A shout out now to Don and Robin, who will both be there in spirit. Big time.

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Covers - 205 "Paradise City" by Guns N' Roses
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNtBY9kHeqg

My honey was not feeling very well today. What's better on a sick afternoon than a mindless movie. I happened to have Matthew McGonahey (or whatever...) and Penelope Cruz in "Sahara" sitting around and that filled the bill nicely. I believe "Paradise City" plays somewhere near the start of that feature flick, so I seized that moment of inspiration and got cracking.

Fun little number, Meant to croon it, but drawn to the version I've heard a million times, somewhat. Nice work, Guns. It was nice to find a song that was written by an entire band. Most songs I run across, here were written by a person or two. Gotta love collaboration. Even "Sahara" collaborated, firing machine guns at me at the end.

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Originals - 205 "Original Music"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Fw6UQ90rjk

"Original Music" is a reggae I composed, on the spot today, with the cameras rolling, thinking about the way things are from moment to moment. Where we are, what we're doing, what life is, how a song can capture that like a snapshot. It is a friendly little reggae song. It was made by me. I am now gong to get a sandwich, made by Olive Tree.

No comments: