Thursday, June 30, 2011

Operation 365... Blog 212

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Archives - 218 Don Truesdail "Big City" - 24 Hours of Free Music - 6-28-2008
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hq-HmehgTAA

Here is the final clip from Don Truesdail's set from 2008's "24 Hours of Free Music" concert on June 28, 200-8. It has been a great honor to be able to bring this footage to you. Don is, was and will always be a great dude. The end part of this clip turns to black. Director Dylan Avery followed me to the patio for some behind the scenes footage and the tape ended. I let it play through though, just because there isn't that much Don footage out there and I would like to share as much as I can. The visual comes back at then and you get to see Don and I palling around and hear his awesome "Waiting to Unplug" song. Consider that an exclusive.

Don makes a comment right before "Waiting to Unplug." "And here we are, three years later," he says. I think that's from the end of his first tune actually, but it wound up at the end of his set too here somehow. Everything happens for a reason, I believe. Even horrible stuff, like Don; untimely passing. Unfortunately, I do not possess the otherworldly wisdom to comprehend what and why that reason is. Maybe Don is saving some other world somewhere singlehandedly. If so, Don, thanks for staying in touch and leaving so much love behind. I'm sure, wherever you are, you are busy conjuring positive realities for those around you.

Here WE are, three years later, missing Don still. I realize not everybody can share this same perspective. There can be no true consolation for spouses, and immediate family members, when someone leaves the planet as suddenly as Don did on January 13, 2009. As a close friend, I am deeply thankful that I had the opportunity to get to know him as well as I did. Nothing is ensured in this world. Not a minute, not a day, not a second. So to have been able to spend as many great afternoons and evenings with Don is something, I am deeply thankful for, daily. I believe we will all be together again someday somehow. I cherish my time in this world and I look forward to chilling with Don again, when the universe deems it time to do so. In the meantime, Don is a part of me forever. One of my favorite parts of me, in fact. Peace.

The Soul Man, who turns 93 Friday, joins Don here, on guiro. Dylan Avery filmed this for the movie "Jefferson Jay's 24 Hours of Free Music." The movie is currently out of print. Sold out. Please contact me at jefferson@jeffersonjay.com if you are interested in getting a copy and maybe I'll print more. For more information on the man (Don) and his music, please visit www.truesdailstudio.com

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Covers - 218 "Someday Someway" by Marshall Crenshaw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbKCAigMKTw

After I jammed the phrase "someday somehow" into my spiel about Don, found here, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hq-HmehgTAA

I knew I had to bust out a "Someday Someway" today. I had half decided on doing "Under the Boardwalk," but if you embrace destiny, you embrace destiny and I embrace destiny, big time. "Someday Someway" was a song my mom used to listen to when I was a kid. I think she liked the Robert Gordon version. The song stuck with me. I tired it last week, but I didn't it get quite right. Today I was closer. I decided to stick with it. Close enough for government work, or the Operation 365.

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Outtakes - 218 Writing "A New Song From Scratch"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MT2hhP2OxM8

So I got a wild hair. I wrote this tune, "A New Song From Scratch," right before your very eyes, from nothingness to completed tune in less than ten minutes. I kept every detail for your viewing pleasure. Takes me a second to get going but once it's on, I'm off and running. I hope you enjoy watching my creative process. This is very unique. If anyone sees this, and wants some tips and finishing tunes, feel free to drop me a line at jefferson@jeffersonjay.com

Lots of folks can start a song. Finishing them is another matter altogether. I think she came out all right. Managed to use the scratching metaphor a bit. This whole thing is a shout out to my buddy who scratches the guiro as well as anybody who's ever lived 93 years. That's right, Junior Fos, The Soul Man will be 93 tomorrow. Scratching that guiro shaves 30 years off your look. Happy birthday, Man of Soul.

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Originals - 218 "A New Song From Scratch"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkfxP9d9c1Y

Here is a little song I wrote today called "A New Song From Scratch." I started writing it about 7 minutes before I recorded it. I have provided proof of this if anybody's interested in an outtake called "Writing "A New Song From Scratch"." Here is the link to how I wrote his song from start to finish in less than ten minutes. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MT2hhP2OxM8

It seems like a cool song. I still haven't played it a second time yet. I am looking forward to that happening soon. This one is dedicated to my dear friend and bandmate, The Soul Man, who will turn 93 tomorrow. Feel free to join us at Humphrey's Backstage Lounge, (www.humphreysbackstagelive.com) this Saturday, July 2, 2011, from 5-7PM, where we will celebrate the life of an American hero as well as one righteous and cool groove-loving dude, Junior Fos (I never call him that. I can't call a 93 year old dude, "Junior") I just call him, for nine years now, The Soul Man.

No comments: