Thursday, June 16, 2011

Operation 365... Blog 198

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Archives - 204 Andrew Schneider "Cascading Cliches" 7-6-2010
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svbOjp2sFQA

Welcome to Family Day here on the 365. Andrew Schneider joins us here on loan from Austin, TX. Very exciting to welcome his sister Nancy Truesdail to the 365 later, on the original jam. Paul Ruiz appears here on trumpet and shines in all 3 videos today. Hail the continuity.

On July 6, 2010, Andrew played his tune "Cascading Cliches," with Paul Ruiz and The Soul Man (heard, not seen here) at my Gallagher's Open Mic. I believe it was the very first one there, in fact. Family + friends = fun. There's the new math for ya, in effect.

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Covers - 204 "Take the Money and Run" by Steve Miller
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hg9bF-fm_o0

Paul Ruiz and Destructo came over today. We discussed the process of moving my 1871 CDs (pictured behind me, stage left, in to the happy homes of customers from here to Japan and back. I wrote a jam right away when Paul came over. Then the Bunny showed up. I was really feeling "Fly Like an Eagle," but "Take the Money and Run," was so much more doable. So , Billy Joe and Bobby Sue it was. I'm pretty sure a switched the names here a few times. I'm not even sure if I did it on purpose. I've played this tune going back to high school, so it was fun to do it here. Why do they call it high school?

So the Bunny grabbed the djembe and Paul and I threw down on trumpet and guitar, respectively. Please enjoy a little Steve Miller Band.

In related news, I almost got scammed by a guy in Nigeria, who trying to get my to pay a deposit to check out a place he owned on Orchard St. A little research saved me from an embarrassing, inglorious fate. Hail research. Thanks Beth Zemacky at the real estate place from giving me the real 411.

Operation 365 - Jefferson Jay - Originals - 204 "Deliver With Your Mind"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8_hlbnkirw

So, as often happens when I write song these days, all the chords just popped into my head. What's left to do then, is grab a pen and write the tune down. The whole tune, or as close to that as possible. So today, I wrote "C D E F G" And hen I wrote A B. I copied it, repeated it, added the bridge and went back to the beginning 8 times. Then I wrote the words into the spaces in my word document. Moments later... tune. The melody goes from G to C, the same notes in reverse.

Played it with Paul Ruiz a couple times. He is my trumpeter friend. The Bunny played it with us once on the djembe, but it didn't translate, so I wrote a bunch of catchy jazzy chords and then he had to go food shopping. So we went back to this thing hours later, after James (the Bunny) had left and Nancy had come over. Nancy and Paul and I all dig hanging out and we do it often. So Nancy threw down on the little keyboard, her first youtube appearance, she believes. Waking up can be a party when you have really cool friends. Dig my new song about manifesting positive destinies, "Deliver With Your Mind."

No comments: